Food Facts about Pistachios
1. Pistachio nuts are a member of the cashew family, related closely to mangos, sumac and even poison ivy.
2. Iran produces more pistachios than any other country in the world with over 200k tons per year.
3. In Asia they are often referred to as ‘green almonds & the ‘happy nut’. In Iran they are called the ‘smiling nut’
4. Male pistachio trees are alternate bearing, meaning they produce heavier crops every other year.
5. All pistachio shells are naturally beige in color. Many companies dye inferior nuts red or green.
“Today’s mighty oak was once a single nut who held it’s ground.”~Mark Twain
Events of February 26
on this day in…
- 1852 John Harvey Kellogg was born. A health food pioneer, developed the first breakfast cereals for his patients, Granose (flaked wheat) and toasted corn flakes.
View original post 133 more words