I still remember my first impression on lettuce wraps. The first time I ate it at a restaurant I thought that was good, so I decided to make it with a little tweak from the original recipe. There are many ways to make lettuce wraps. I am doing the best I can to simplify the ingredients by giving options in consideration to those who would like to try this recipe. I understand that in other countries some ingredients are not readily available in the market. Don’t worry! This is actually a simple recipe. Just be creative, as long as you have something to hold your stir-fried vegetables in, and you have your basic ingredients, you’re good.
Good source of: protein, fiber and other vita-nutrients that is found in each vegetable you put in.
STIR FRY INGREDIENTS:
1 TBspoon cocounut oil (or any cooking oil, i chose coconut oil as it has high heat tolerance and doesn’t burn easily, and it’s good for you)
1 TBspoon garlic, minced
1/2 cup onions, chopped
1 cup vegetarian Fry-chick original, diced (fried or baked tofu or ready-to-eat veggie meat will do)
2/3 cup mushrooms
1 cup water chestnut, diced (or other vegetable that doesn’t get soft and mushy easily, i.e., chayote, jicama)
3/4 cup broccoli stems, diced (optional, or use other vegetable you like. I just want to use the broccoli stems we have in the fridge ;D )
1/2 cup carrots, diced
5-7 iceberg lettuce (or other type of leafy-greens that’s wide enough to keep vegetables in)
***thick rice noodles (optional)
STIR FRY SAUCE INGREDIENTS:
3 TBspoons Kikkoman low sodium soy sauce (only 2 1/2 TBS for regular soy sauce)
2 TBspoons turbinado sugar (or any real sugar, sweetener available)
1 teaspoon organic rice wine vinegar (or real sour vinegar of some sort as long as it’s not chemical by-product vinegar)
SPECIAL SAUCE INGREDIENTS: optional
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup turbinado sugar
2 TBspoons soy sauce
2 TBspoons organic rice wine vinegar
2 TBspoons ketchup
1 TBspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon olive oil
1 TBspoon hot mustard (or honey mustard)
1-2 teaspoon garlic and red chili paste (or hot pepper paste and garlic powder mixed together)
1. To make the special sauce: In a bowl, dissolve sugar in warm water. Add soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup and olive oil. Mix well and set aside until you’re ready to serve. You can add your desired amount of mustard and garlic sauce with special sauce mixture to pour over the wraps.
2. To make the stir fry sauce: mix 3 TBS soy sauce, 2 TBS sugar and 1 teaspoon vinegar.
3. To cook stir fry vegetables: Sautee garlic and onion in cooking oil for about a minute (do not overcook).
4. Add tofu and mushrooms. Cook for about 2 minutes, then add the rest of stir-fry ingredients (except iceberg lettuce & rice noodles) for another 2 minutes.
5. Add stir fry sauce to stir fried vegetables and cook for another minute or 2.
*** If you want fried rice noodles as one of your toppings; i recommend to boil rice noodles first. Drain and cut to about an inch length. Deep fry till it expands, then dry oil in a paper towel.
6. Fill lettuce leaves with enough amount of stir fried veggies and top with special sauce and other toppings you want. Enjoy!
You can make your own vegetable stir fry combination. You can double and adjust the amount of ingredients as well.
Fried rice noodles is not necessary. The photos above show the difference with or without it but they both taste good.