Some people call it sausage, others call it franks. Either way they both look similar and this one happens to be a vegetarian version of sausage/franks. It’s made of texturized vegetable protein from Soy, gluten flour, beans and other nuts and grains. The ingredients of this recipe is actually simple but you may find the wrapping part a little challenging. This is one of my occasional treats.
spring roll wraps
soy cheese (cut into strips)
dill pickles (or sweet & sour pickles cut into strips)
coconut oil for frying or baking
ketchup (or your favorite sauce)
1. Thaw out fresh roll wraps (if you are using frozen wraps)for a few hours or overnight.
2. Make a lengthwise cut halfway into franks. Stuff in soy cheese and pickles in the slit.
4. Wrap franks with spring roll wraps. Use water to moisten the end of wraps to seal it.
5. In a skillet, put a little coconut oil to fry the franks roll. Set stove to medium heat to avoid burning.
6. After frying, place franks rolls in a paper towel to remove extra oil. Enjoy with your favorite sauce!
* Or, baste each franks roll with coconut oil and bake it in a preheated oven for 20 minutes at a 375 degrees temperature. Flip frank rolls over and bake for another 10 minutes or till it’s brownish in color.
1. You can buy spring roll wraps at an International food market or Asian store. You can even buy dry spring roll wraps online. You will have to soak it with warm water to soften the wraps. But i use the one in the picture for this type of cooking.
2. I don’t recommend deep frying because veggie franks has already oil in it. Just make sure the skillet is hot enough before you start frying.